Dear MCS Community,
On behalf of the school leadership team and the Construction Committee we’d like to update the community on important start-of-school details. Our school team is working tirelessly to prepare, so we ask that you refer to the FAQ and send any questions regarding this update to the Board directly. Your grace is appreciated in allowing the school team to stay focused.
Our decision is driven by the following factors. Extensive details can be found in our FAQ:
- Despite hurdles, Bright Future Phase 2 construction has stayed close to schedule to hit our September reopening date. Yet within the last 2-3 weeks, COVID-related complications completely out of our control with respect to construction crews, city inspection bandwidth, and critical building materials/supplies have significantly impacted the schedule. Construction will not be completed in time for us to start the school year on campus, thus the necessity for remote learning through October 9. Please refer to the FAQ for more details.Know that we’ve explored every angle and relationship in an attempt to meet our September date. We remain confident that this team has and will continue to work unceasingly to get our campus open as quickly and safely as possible.
- As of 8/19/20, Orange County has come off the State’s Monitoring List. The county needs to remain off this list for 14 consecutive days in order for us to reopen in-person education without a waiver. Please see details in the FAQ.
- MCS submitted its Waiver on August 10, 2020 seeking approval for on-campus learning for TK-6th grades and we’re still awaiting the State’s approval.
- Please reference the MCS Fall Reopening Plan for details about our On-campus and Remote Learning programs.
- Please refer to our FAQ and send all questions regarding this announcement to the Board directly.
Lewis Brewster, Board Chair
Ruth Sanchez Kobayashi