Mariners Christian School Statement of Faith
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three co-equal persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14
- We believe that God the Son became human in the person of Jesus Christ, was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is fully God and fully man. Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:14; Colossians 1:15, 19
- We believe that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and offered himself as the only perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people. All who believe in Him are declared righteous on the basis of His death. Romans 3:24- 26; 5:6-10; II Corinthians 5:14-15, 21; I Peter 3:18
- We believe Jesus Christ rose physically from the dead and ascended into heaven to demonstrate His power over sin and death. John 20:25-27; Acts 1:9-11; Romans 1:4
- We believe that Jesus Christ will return again to earth to establish His kingdom and reign forever in righteousness and peace. Isaiah 9:6-7; Matthew 24:30; Acts 1:11; Revelation 21:1-8
- We believe that the Bible, consisting of all sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is the written Word of God, our final authority on all matters to which it speaks, without error in the original manuscripts. Psalm 19:7-11; II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21
- We believe that human beings were created in the image of God to be like Him in character and to be in relationship with Him. Human beings are born with a sinful nature and, apart from Jesus Christ, are eternally separated from God. As a result, each one has sinned by defying God and has fallen short of God’s perfect standard. Genesis 1:26-27; 2:15-17; 3:6; Romans 5:12-19; Ephesians 2:1-3
- We believe that salvation from our sinful condition is a free gift of God. It is not something we earn or deserve because of good works. It must be received personally by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ alone. John 1:12; 3:16; 10:27-30; Romans 3:28; 8:31-38; Ephesians 2:8-9
- We believe that the Holy Spirit lives in every believer from the moment of salvation. He provides all Christians with power for living and is in the ongoing process of transforming believers into the likeness of Jesus Christ. John 14:16-17; Romans 6:1-14; 8:9-17; Galatians 5:16-26; Ephesians 2:10; Philippians 1:6
- We believe that human beings were created to exist forever. They will either exist eternally separated from God in hell or eternally united with Him in heaven. John 5:28-29; I Corinthians 15:50-58; I Thessalonians 4:15-18; Revelation 20:12-15
- We believe in the reality and personality of Satan, who attempts to defeat Christians through deception. Believers overcome Satan’s schemes by applying biblical truth in the power of the Holy Spirit. Job 1:6-12; John 8:44; Ephesians 6:10-18; I Peter 5:8-9
- We believe the Church consists of all who put their faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the head of the Church. Believers need to maintain a regular commitment to attend a local church fellowship. Believers are to grow in spiritual maturity, love each other as Christ loved us, and proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ through words and compassionate actions. Matthew 16:16-18; 22:37-38; 28:19-20; John 13:34- 35; Acts 1:8; II Corinthians 5:18-20; Ephesians 4:11-16; Colossians 1:18; Hebrews 10:25
Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. We believe this to be God’s intentional design, His handiwork, for humanity. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- We believe marriage is ordained and instituted by God and, according to Scripture, is the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union. (Genesis 2:18-25)
- We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4) We believe that relationships outside of heterogeneous marriage are inconsistent with the sacredness of marriage and the teachings in Scripture.
- We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10)
- We believe that in order to preserve the intent of Scripture and provide a biblical role model to all members of the Mariners Christian School community, it is expected that all persons, in any role capacity, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22)
The United States Supreme Court has provided churches and other religious organizations with constitutional protection for these beliefs:
Finally, it must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered. The same is true of those who oppose same-sex marriage for other reasons. In turn, those who believe allowing same sex marriage is proper or indeed essential, whether as a matter of religious conviction or secular belief, may engage those who disagree with their view in an open and searching debate.
Obergefell v. Hodges, U.S. 644 (2015).